09/03/2026
St. Dominic, Breese, IL - The first church of St. Dominic was blessed by Bishop Henry Juncker of the Diocese of Alton on October 18th, 1858. It was a 40’ x 60’ building that stood directly behind the current church. At the time, about eighty Catholic families lived in Breese and the immediate area.
During the next ten years, a large number of German immigrants settled in the area. Bishop Juncker recognized the need, and granted permission, to build a larger church.
Using local stone, lime, and sand, a new Gothic style church was completed in December 1869. It is the same building that unites the 900 family faith community today.